Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Swearing

This topic has been long overdue and been resigned to the back burner for a long time. Why? Just go over the comments section of my last meaningful post. SP and venus came out strongly against swearing.

Venus went onto mention what her parents told her about swearing " one swears when one does not know enough word-power". I totally agree with this and it has to be the best thing to say to children as parents or responsible adults. But what about educated adults who completely understands the meaning of the word and chooses to use it. Why does one say them?

SP, came up with a generic statement that "swearing is bad for health" which was as funny as one of his million PJ's he used to crack while we were classmates :P He was trying to be funny. But when I came out against it and his favorite nemesis, Intern, decided to support me, he had to give a lecture on controlling frustration and anger and letting them die down rather than venting out in frustration and encouraging them. All of what he said was taken in good humor and I hope SP, you take what I have to say in good spirit.

I never condone or encourage swearing or anger. In fact Ive had a bad history of controlling my anger. So, the following is just my opinion on it and Im not going on support for those who use it as frequently as articles in a sentence. Im stating my stand on swearing not what situations lead me into swearing due to frustration or anger.

No emotion can be classified and clearly demarcated as good or bad, they just dont come in binary anymore. I can never classify my emotional balance at any time as grief or happiness. There are times when I tend to be moody but not depressed, cheerful but not joyous. What Im trying to say is that there are shades of grey in these emotions. I often swear in frustration but never in anger. There is a difference between the two and hence the roundabout explanation involving colors like grey, black and white :P So, am I saying that swearing when frustrated is acceptable? No, but just like you need an outlet for grief or happiness and given that we are not saints or priests, there is a need for an outlet for frustration.

Looking at the big picture; grief, anger or frustration are no different from each other. Bottomline, they are emotions. Each emotion given to its characteristic symptoms. Often Ive seen people who are really pissed in life or really happy and they have to get either emotion out of their system. Once that is done, they are more or less back to their normal self.

The best thing about swearing when you are frustrated is that its immediately out of the system. Almost like a restart button and after that, you look at the reason why you are frustrated in a whole new way. Let me back this up with a small sample of how and when I swear. My tennis coach always used to say that it was absolutely OK to just shout or swear when you miss a simple shot or when things just arent going your way. Infact he showed me how to throw the tennis racquet on the ground without breaking. And I used to let it rip, when I thought I was playing a match incompetently. My roar could be heard 5 courts down the line. It worked in two ways. One, I immediately forgot about the point and was focussed for the next point. Two, it pushed me to play better, kind of like having your coach shout at you for missing an easy shot. Putting things back in perspective, it worked for me.

I stand by what I said earlier. I never swear at people. Too often Ive see a group of close friends swearing at each other because its a fun thing to do, like experimenting new things. Ive also seen the same group of friends swear using the exact same words, while they are having a fight. The reaction is blindingly different. Its like, when you mean those words, the exact same words seem to have a different connotation to it. So, I never swear at people.

Swearing aint cool or hep or forgiveable but its a valid emotion for frustration or anger.

9 comments:

sensiblystoned said...

My point exactly!!!! Wonder what the fuss is all about. Intern, if youre still up for it, why dont you give me your email id so that I can fwd an invite for the movie blog. Would love to have you contributing there!!

Shoe said...

A post after long time!!!

Hmmm when I read the post I realized how true it wa....I think emotions are like finger prints....you cant have an encore of same emotions......

How true....

I swear in my mind...never loudly...maybe I am afraid of what people think....but one day while I was driving and talking to my dad over the phone, I woman who absolutely didnt know how to drive hurtled towards my car entering thru a wrong way....I was taken back for a moment and I thought that I would hit her and had to swerve soo fast...I swore aloud......soo loudly that I still dont know what my dad thought about it!!!

M. said...

swearing is a stereotype.

You think you can vent your anger or frustration by swearing because that is what you have been taught to think. Does this mean that people who don't swear at all are never able to give vent to their anger? You can scream and shout and ramble on about how unfair the world is without swearing..its fully possible.
On the other hand, why is swearing wrong? It's a stereotype again. When you call someone "Stupid" or "Foolish" do you give it a second thought? Even there aren't you judging someone?

On the whole its a steretype dictated by society. After all,(pardon my language) but a bitch is a bitch 'cos society passes a value judgement on her behavior right?

sensiblystoned said...

GI: thats precisely what I would do too, if in the same situation. And thats what Im trying to say, its ok to swear out loud when you are frustrated.

Misha: Every person has their own way of coping with frustration or anger or any other emotion. Some people are really good at controlling their while some others arent. I say that swearing is fine when you are frustrated and IT IS NOT directed towards another person. I think Ive made it very clear in my post that I dont swear at anybody or call them names. But I would rather call myself names for doing something stupid or when Im frustrated. I think this has nothing to do with stereotypes. This is just my way of handling my frustration.

Kaushik: Thats what Im trying to say too. Im perfectly within my rights to swear out loudly at myself or choose swear to myself. I reiterate that I do not swear at others or judge them by calling names.

Anonymous said...

kalakku! :D

Prashanth said...

Aww... so my one-time PJs are no longer funny to you? I'm devastated :D

I love Misha's take on the swearing paradox. But all said and done, I'm still against swearing. I better explain.

I have a cousin who's become liberal will all kinds of swear words right from 8th grade. Even in front of his mother.

I, too, have friends who use swear words all the time with each other and don't mean it. It's just friendly banter.

I've seen girls whose upbringing is so orthodox that they would normally close their ears when others use swear words, start using these words by themselves, quite freely, once they realized that everyone else were using them freely.

All these people, though they usually use swear words in innocuous situation, by force of habit start using them when they are angry. And that really insults people. Or they use it inadvertently when there is an elder or person of authority around, and create an embarrassing situation. Or, they use it when there are people around who take a less generous view of swearing, or perhaps people like me who are usually generous but when I'm tired and frustrated and my patience is running thin, the last thing I want to hear is someone pop in and say, "What the f*** have you been doing? I've been looking all around for you!". It's so much better to hear, "Where have you been? I've been looking all over for you."

Isn't it simply better if you never used foul language in the first place? Don't tempt fate. Don't defend something when you know there is an obviously better way of doing things. Even if you are merely berating yourself under your breath, use unoffensive language.

venus said...

so, this was the answer to my prev post comment, aha :)

swear words are not acceptable in my distionary, full stop! I agree that people swear out of frustration/anger etc emotions, but this does not justify their swearing! it's good to control swearing habits, you don't want your spouse/gf/parents hear u swear..

Anonymous said...

F* you

sensiblystoned said...

thnx and wish u the same. up yours!!!! hehe