Thursday, April 14, 2005

About love........

In truth I should be the last person to talk about love, my preception of love has always been immature, muddy and preposterous. In fact, I dont think I have still grasped the entire spectrum of feelings collectively termed love. My first understanding of love was from movies, confused between reality and commerciality, I could never paint the big picture, there were far too many dark areas. Imagine looking at a Van Gogh in candle light, the details were just not there for all to see. In fact, like tourists appreciating the Van Gogh for being a Van Gogh more than anything else, "love" seemed to hold a charm without understanding what it meant.

From celluloid love to hormones-working-overtime-adolescent love, dreams are invariably centered about the perfect girl. Like playboy centerfolds, the perfect girl or the perception of the perfect girl changes every month or even faster. The perfect girl can be just about anyone from the girl next door to the girl in your class to the senior girl who works with you on a school project. The girl next door? Does it even exist or are all the beautiful girls housing next to Hrithik Roshan? Believe me even if a beautiful girl moves ostentatiously next door and throws a wild party every week, I would need a cardiac arrest to wake up to the fact.

What about love after marriage? What about love after arranged marriage? Some claim that love after marriage is the true love. For some others arranged marriage might be the easiest option towards unconditional love, no strings attached. Still others are cynical, boorish and antagonistic towards arranged marriage.

But, what is it about love, exclusive of physical love, that makes it so complicated. Why does it happen to a few and for others it is as real as the lochness? But when we bond with someone special why does it become difficult to get away from the attachment. Still, compromise plays a great part in love and marriage. So, if you are compromising with the one that you love, then could you say that the partners are not truly tuned in. After all, if two people who are in love and understand each other so very well, there neednt be any compromise at all, does it? It gets complicated as we grow and build a definition of love and how ones love life should be.

Truth is, sometimes we want to love so much and be loved so much, we are not too choosy about who we love. Other times we make love such a pure and noble thing no poor human can even meet our vision. But for the most part love is recognition, an opportunity to say 'There is something about you I cherish'. It doesnt necessarily entail marriage or even physical love. There is love for your parents, love for the nation, love for people and love for the simple pleasures of life.

Some love comes like wind off the sea; while others grow slowly from the seeds of friendship and kindness. Which one is yours? Which one do you prefer to be yours?

P.S: To all the people who know me personally, this is just an offhand opinion about love. So please hold onto our horses and rein in your imaginations :)

18 comments:

reNUka said...

--Imagine looking at a Van Gogh in candle light--

lovely!!!

--Why does it happen to a few and for others it is as real as the lochness?--
i dont understand this...

i know u have left a question as your closing lines - but i choose not to answer it, ss. i hope u dont mind.

sensiblystoned said...

Renuka,
Thank you. What I mean to say was why does love happen to somebody and when it happens it washes over them like waves of unbounded passion. Whilst for others, love is just an abstraction, and it just happens to be apparition like the lochness.

Honestly, I would like to see your opinion about it. But I understand that its something very personal.

You never told me if I got the anagram correctly?

sensiblystoned said...

Meera,

thalai thalai thaan nee nee thaan naan naan thaan. You are right about feelings. Chumma, antha feelings laa enna, what it means to everybody, what it means to me therinjikanum sollitu thaan.

Thank you. Someday, sometime I would like to know your answer to my some of my questions.

m. said...

i think the word "love" is often used meaninglessly. we "love" everything from icecream and frogs to a person!
jus my take on it - but you can truly love only a pure ideal. and when you see someone living that ideal, you love them too.
logical extension, so maybe love from friendship is likelier to succeed? theres also the thing that loving a person without liking em still doesnt make for harmonious coexistence!

sensiblystoned said...

M.

You are spot on. The failure to make the distinction between the search for the ideal and the search for love, can often prove to be decisive in many relationships.

reNUka said...

hey!!! i thot it was you who had left a message pertaining to iamnotinukraine? i replied to it. - now tht u say i didnt respond, am not sure if it was u... anyway why dont u jus mail me... i don't wanna spoil the sport by putting it up here... :-)

sensiblystoned said...

Vitalstatistix,

I never meant to say that two people should have the same ideal. A person seeking love should fall for the other persons ideal. The moment you have a person whom you love and admire for their ideals, the rest falls in place.

wookie said...

loving an ideal=unrequited love, as far as humans are considered.the moment you have a closer view,all ideals come tumbling down.love experienced between two people is anything but idealistic.love is those moments where nothing else matters but for being together& the happiness it gives you.love is an extension of like-you can never love someone you don't like.you may not like all of someone but you sure do like them enough to fall in love.

sensiblystoned said...

loving an ideal=unrequited love, as far as humans are considered

Why should it be that way? I dont quite understand. The moment you get a closer view all the ideals come tumbling; I can expect this and understand this to an extent.

The mutual love should revolve around love for each others ideals. Im not even going into idealistic love. What I wanted to do was write down the different kinds of love experienced by a couple. More essentially I was looking for an answer from people for the last couple of questions in my post.

anantha said...

Hmmm.. nice post. I do have a couple of things to say wrt to your words.

...if a beautiful girl ....next door....wild party...cardiac arrest to wake up to the fact.

Welcome to the club! You are now officially a member of the RC club. Fyi, the RC (Romantically Challenged) club is like the mafia. We never forget and you can't escape from our clutches...lol.

Some love comes like wind off the sea; while others grow slowly from the seeds of friendship and kindness. Which one is yours? Which one do you prefer to be yours? - Hmmm, I don't think I have an answer to the first question. However, I'd like to experience the latter than the former.

IMHO, Love, as we know it is over-rated. Compatibility, however is KING!

And Meera, your talaivar seriyaana adiga prasangi. Avan sollaradha ellam ketta, uruputta maadhiri dhaan. Indha matter la enga thalaivar 10 yrs munnadi ye sollittar...

Btw, Stoned, I came on here from Meera's!

sensiblystoned said...

Anti,

Thanks for dropping by. I dont think I quite belong in RC but my activities are within the rules of my personal organisation, AR (alienating romance). Haha. I think I can hear you smirking in disbelief.

sensiblystoned said...

Kelly,

Thanks for dropping by. You dont have to be a part of a exclusive cohort to be able to air your views. Like my friend was telling me the other day, the comments section gives us all a different perspective especially when it comes from a "virtual stranger" whose opinions are not affected by any personal knowledge of the blogger. Yes love has a million definitions, but what is the root definition, the one main underlying truth? I guess itll remain the number one history in the book of life. :)

The only question I ask of you is why do you have to hide your blog address and profile. :)

Anonymous said...

"Some love comes like wind off the sea; while others grow slowly from the seeds of friendship and kindness"

I think the second part defines love in a better way. 'love at first sight' concept is simply because he/she is attracted to the person's appearance..if some1 can analise a person in the first look..then that would be the the end of divorces and problems caused because of this "filmy" thing called love at first sight.

So I believe it grows gradually from initial attraction to crush to friendship and then love. Love pandits, correct me if my assumption is wrong.

- Bugs

Anonymous said...

I've got to agree with bugs...but I'm not too sure about the order...

The latter definition of love is more meaningful...but it was very surprising to hear that from bugs..who's got sexboy as his nickname....hahahaha

anyway....LOOOOVE seems to be an evergreen topic for discussion and seems to be the only thing most youngsters think about...and its proven here by the number of comments...hahaha

Anonymous said...

Photon : I was wondering who is this guy who knows my nickname, Thank God, later came to know it is our very own kakkooosa :-P Good work on the new name dude..ha ha

Yeah this topic seems to be hot, way to go SS !

- Bugs

sensiblystoned said...

Mediochre,
I agree but I was just being mischievious and I thought playboy centerfolds kind of described adolescent love :)

Miss A said...

Sometimes I listen to songs about love, or see a couple on the street. Love seems like something that is so far away, not necessarily in a bad way. I love your writing, so I am going to link to you on my blog. Hope that is OK.

sensiblystoned said...

Anne, thanks for dropping. Of course you can link my blog in yours. Hope you come back again.