Sunday, June 05, 2005

Monaaay

Money, with pscyhedelic strains on the guitar, goes the Pink Floyd song.

"Money, it’s a crime.
Share it fairly but don’t take a slice of my pie.
Money, so they say
Is the root of all evil today.
But if you ask for a raise it’s no surprise that they’re
Giving none away"

ABBA went "Money,money,money" and Dire straits sang "Money for nothing"

Money for nothing? Nobody told me about that. Dont we work hard to make money? How much money do we need? In one of my earlier posts in this blog, I asked this question of myself "How much money do I want, is one million dollars enough, or what will two cars and a beautiful bungalow back home do to my dreams, will it satisfy my urge to earn and spend?" How do I draw the line between necessity and greed? From celluloid heroes to pint size philosophers,
they all say the same thing, panam inniku varum nalaikku pogum, kaasu selavu panrathuku thanae (today you earn money to spend it tomorrow? isnt the money that we earn, for spending?)

A necessary digression at this point.

One of the most defining moments Ive come across in movies in the recent times was the climax in Schindlers List. As the story goes, Oskar Schindler, who initially sees Jews as cheap labor goes through a full circle of convictions, guilt and humanity. Itzhak Stern, his faithful Jewish accoutant, who helps him succeed in his business, feeds on his guilt and initiates him to rescue people from camps by recruiting them in his factory. To many Jews, Schindlers factory meant the difference between life and death. Nobody died if they worked for Schindler. That meant more than anything else to them. When the people were ready to be shipped off to Auschwitz, Schindler, a businessman who sees war as an opportunity to finally succeed in life and make money, pays off almost his entire fortune to bribe officials to move the Jews to his hometown. This way he saved 1200 Jews, and thus the name of the movie, Schindlers List.

He saved many more indirectly. His factory supplied armaments and artillery shells to the Nazis; Schindler made sure that no shell from his factory would ever fire. To make this happen Schindler spent huge amounts of money, conniving officials to keep buying from him. After the end of war, Schindler knew only too well that as a member of the Nazi party he and his wife would be chased, prosecuted or maybe persecuted. The final scene when Schindler the ruthless,
money minded businessman breaks down to his confidant Stern, about how many more he could have saved, it hits you hard. To depict the gravity of the situation and what money meant to Schindler in the end, Im going to quote directly from the movie.

SCHINDLER: (to himself) I could've got more... if I'd just...I don't know, if I'd just...I could've got more...

STERN: Oskar, there are twelve hundred people who are alive because of you. Look at them.

(Unable to look up)SCHINDLER: If I'd made more money... I threw away so much money, you have no idea. If I'd just...

STERN: There will be generations because of what you did.

SCHINDLER: I didn't do enough.

STERN: You did so much.

(Schindler starts to lose it, the tears coming. Stern, too. The look on Schindler's face as his eyes sweep across the faces of the workers is one of apology, begging them to forgive him for not doing more.)

SCHINDLER: This car. Goeth (The Nazi commander whom Schindler bribed to take the Jews to his hometown to work in his factory) would've bought this car. Why did I keep the car? Ten people, right there, ten more I could've got. This pin -- (He rips the swastika, from his lapel and holds it out to Stern pathetically.)

SCHINDLER:Two people. This is gold. Two more people. He would've given me two for it. At least one. He would've given me one. One more. One more person. A person, Stern. For this. One more. I could've gotten one more person I didn't.
(He completely breaks down, weeping convulsively, the guilt consuming him.)

SCHINDLER: They killed so many people...They killed so many people...

The meaningless gold lapel pin which he shamelessly paraded on his jacket came to nothing in the end. Will the money that we earn in our life mean anything to us, to this world. At times I used to ask myself, will the research that Im doing right now, is it going to help, will it make a difference. The money that I make would it make a difference? Im not going to humor myself that it would, but still I hope to put it to good use. For the hopeless romanticist that I am, the ideal world in which I dream, there, Dire Straits still sing "Money for nothing"

Someday on the different paths that Im going take, money should be the means to the end and not the end to the means.

16 comments:

Baejaar said...

I saw this movie just 1 week back. So its still fresh in my mind. I just gave it a rating of 4.5 in my blog (about an hour back) and I see your review. I wonder how I missed this movie for so long. Not only the acting of "schindler" but all the support actors including "goeth", "stern" and the rest have left a deep imprint in me. Nice cinematography, good editing, beautiful music - can any one complain about this one? Its one of the few perfect movies (closest in Tamil is Nayagan I guess)

sensiblystoned said...

Lone warrior: thats precisely my point, can you set a finite limit? I know about your requirements pretty well and I still havent written the post about a discussion we had. hehe ;)

Baejaar: I would say Schindlers List is one of my top favorites at the current moment and I have no regrets on the money I spent to buy that movie on DVD. But my top favorite would still remain Shawshank Redemption. If you havent seen that yet, you are missing out on something. But beware its longer than Schindlers list, so get yourself a big bag of popcorn or chips and make sure nobody disturbs you. Happy viewing if you decide to see it.

I was in the EEE department. Its too late for you to start ragging now ;) Alumni? dude, thats as alien as good teaching in HCE. Which department were you in?

sensiblystoned said...

Yup, the grass is always greener on the other bank.

venus said...

wow, you almost made me watch this movie now. I knew how great this movie was, but did not watch with the fear of sadness after the movie, watching it alone. There is a very fine line between necessity and greediness. It is a matter of personal judgement, priorities, and desired living standard. For a poor person, $1000 can be a fortune, while same amout to a business owner can be very meager. And money for nothing? so many people waste their hard earned money in buying lottary tickets or in gambling, which is a mirage, a person chases after.

sensiblystoned said...

Venus: Its a great movie, no doubt about it. But it can cause a great dent in your senses as it is quite depressing. Seeing it alone? you gotta be well prepared then :)

sensiblystoned said...

archstorm: money turns you on? wow thats a pretty strong statement!!

cedia said...

Totally materialistic and can't deny it.

sensiblystoned said...

Yeah, of all the turn-ons out there, archstorm decided to choose money!!!! Thanks for dropping by cedia.

Lorena said...

great post. i love that movie and including the dialogue really made your point and it was so very moving. it made me remember why i love that movie. did you ever see "it's a beautiful life"?? i think you would like it.
i also don't put to much importance in money. happiness is more important.

sensiblystoned said...

Lorena: I havent "its a beautiful life" but I have a fair idea of what its about. That movie and "The pianist" are right now very high on my list. But three movies dealing with similar issues and the depressing tale they portray might be too much for even the hardiest at heart. Im going to give some more time for Schindlers List to sink before I see the remaining two. Thanks for dropping by.

Lorena said...

you think you'll be sad given the setting for "it's a beautiful life" but you'll find yourself crying happy tears. that was the case for me. i also wait until i'm in a mood for something that could be sad. it will be sad but lets just say it lives up to its title.

sensiblystoned said...

Hmm, sounds great. I think I should try to get hold of the movie soon :)

ESIH said...

Good lord..why do i see so many posts on money n money making everywhere!Phew!

venus said...

hey, check this out, i thought u might be interested when talking about greed and money:
http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20050613204009990004

Eroteme said...

I don't think greed is inevitable. I don't think money is of little consequence. I suppose it is a matter of with what do you juxtapose it.
Money has its purpose and to recognise that is most important. Once the purpose is served, we need to know how to let go, which many of us find difficult to do. I don't think Schindler hated himself for being a money-minded guy; he hated himself for not utilising it properly...
Nice post... Been a while since I came to your blog :-D

sensiblystoned said...

Sushmita: Its a coincidence maybe :)

Venus: thanks will do so.

Eroteme: yes its been a long time. But I suppose you didnt get enough time to dissect it or I didnt write enough to be analysed ;)

Archstorm: Yes it all boils down to making money. But a turn on is still a pretty strong statement.