Thursday, October 06, 2005

The year gone by

A month ago, my first year in the US has passed, a fact my mom never forgets to mention everytime I talk to her. She can't believe that its been a year since I moved and Im like "its already a year? phew time flew fast". I guess when you are in the process of constantly learning things, like how to cook, adapt, do laundry, drive and clean, it looks like a year well spent. I suppose its going to be that way for very many years because I've yet to learn many things I need to.

Besides my graduate work, for which Im here, the past year has been about lessons learned, some embarrassing, some funny and some tough ones. Learning new things and un-learning things which have sort of found a way into me has taken the best part of the year. The most important lessons have been about professionalism, courtesy and living single. Learning to look left before you look right before crossing the road has been the most toughest one I must add ;)

Sharing an apartment and duties has been a new experience, especially since one has to carefully tread around bruised egos just like the way you need to handle a field of land mine. Nevertheless, its been another lesson on diplomacy and tact. Cooking, well I cant say enough about it. From a guy who was mortally scared of lighting a stove (dont ask me why) to a pretty good cook, its been a great adventure. Scorched vessels, burnt hands and cut fingers, its been fun. One thing I've realised is that no amount of cook books with zillion recipes are going to help. It takes a pinch of common sense, large amounts of general knowledge and concentration. Yeah, concentration, cooking is not learnt by committing ingredients to memory and training your motor memory to do the stuff.

My parents have already started talking about the time I'll be coming back, which is too far off to say definitively because lets face it, Im in grad school. So places to go, things to do and stuff to learn before I rest. (my version of a popular saying) :))

14 comments:

Prabha said...

so a good one year huh?:)

sensiblystoned said...

Yeah its been a great year with loads of happy and humbling experiences :))

gulnaz said...

sounds like a good year at the end of it

venus said...

Congratulations on your survival! It takes courage to leave comfort and dare to live in an non-familiar, land in unknown culture. I can totally understand what you must have gone through.. may be for the first 6 months you wanted to go back, and if you would have, you would not have finished your cause for what you left everything- family, comfort, familiarity, set routine. All successful people are the ones who took risk, and you are on the right track! I will tell my story some other time :)

sensiblystoned said...

gulnaz: yeah it has been so.

venus: Thanks venus. At that time I didnt know it was courage that took me through the first few months but when I look back now I feel good about some of the decisions that I took.

Anonymous said...

I heard your name several times in Prashanth's Blog, so decided to walk-in. Nice!!!

Its funny to see you guys struggling with cooking sessions. For me (as much as most gals i guess) cooking comes naturally. But then; I wonder what do you guys cook?

I went through the movies section. Interesing!! I'm quite a movie-freak and enjoyed reading some reviews!
-Intern.

Prashanth said...

What do we guys cook? Kierthi, let me answer the question, please?

Choices:
1. Noodles
2. Fried rice
3. Sambhar
4. Rasam
5. Curd (yoghurt) rice
6. Bread & Egg

and... announcing... latest in my repertoire...

7. Pancakes

Since Kierthi's been here a whole year, he is SUPPOSED to know 6 times as many recipes, but... er... I SERIOUSLY doubt it :D

Miss A said...

Where are you from originlly?

sensiblystoned said...

Intern: Some of us guys dont have a general aptitude for cooking and Im sure there are things likewise for girls too. I have learnt to cook a proper Indian meal, pretty much anything. Once you get the hang of it, cooking most of the dishes is a breeze. Btw, you seem to write those lengthy comments on prashanths blog and it looks like you can pretty much start your own blog. Or do you have one already and decide to hide it from us :)

SP: that list was my repertoire for the first 6months but you tend to get bored of eating the same old thing and so you try to do different things. Surprise surprise, ive pretty much cooked everything on the Indian meal list here. Dosas, idlis, puris, adai, pongal, uppuma, payasam and the whole list :) Have I got your tongue wagging already??

Anne: Im from a Chennai (formerly known as Madras) a city in the Southern part of India :)

Prashanth said...

Dosa, idli, puri, ... ?!!!

Wow! My tongue is watering... been away from such things for too long! Perhaps one day I will prepare them as well...

Miss A said...

That is so cool!! I am planning a trip to India with my snooty private school kids. Otherwise I would be too poor to go on such a big trip.

sensiblystoned said...

SP: Im sure you will, you will get bored of cooking sambhar every other day. Cmon dude cooking should be running in your veins :)

Anne: Awesome, which places are you planning to go?? Snooty private school kids, that might be tough, because India is not all about what they say in the books. The culture shock can be quite jarring, you need to have a very open mind when you go there. I can understand any reservations you might have about pvt school kids and how they might react to India, infact Im sure most of them will be true :)

Miss A said...

I work in an international school, so the kids have already travelled all over the world, and some of them will be fron India. I meant the snooty private school kids would be able to afford the ridiculous price of an 11 day tour.
We will start in Delhi, go to Agra, Ranthambore, Jaipur and Pushkar before going back to Delhi to fly home.....I am so excited!!

sensiblystoned said...

Ahh, my bad, I misinterpreted the statement. Wow those are an impressive list of places you got lined up there. Agra, Jaipur, Ranthambore, great places to go to and beautiful castles and monuments to see. So when did you say you were going?