Sunday, March 13, 2005

Morning musings, when philosophy is your companion

Like a hurricane lashing on the coast of Florida all Ive been wanting to do since discovering the blogging community was to write and write. And now write I must before my roomates wake up and demand their fair share of computer usage. Its a beautiful morning after the numerous snow storms and Im awake earlier than my roomates who wont be up for another couple of hours at least. I sleep late too but I wanted some peaceful time to work on my blog before my roomates getup and go about their mundane activities of checking their mails, not to mention the usual gossip of cinema and which bollywood actress decided to jump on the bandwagon of sleazefest.

It is an irony that our only links to India is via the occasional bollywood and kollywood cinema, however stereotypical and a cartload of crap they call movies, we still see them. With a glass of chocolate flavored milk in my hand (Im too lazy to make myself any coffee) and Maxwells equations I need to analyse for my upcoming midterms on mind, I browse through cricinfo and rediff pages for knowledge that I usually pick up from daily chatter with friends when I was back home. Do I miss India? not really because I have more to look forward here than back home. Would I settle out here? no way because however much you build a rapport with locals here we'll still be the Indian friend and not just friend.

Ahh the proverbial sleepers are turning and tossing already, its going to be yet another a long day. The physics of electromagnetics interspersed with discussions about arranged marriage and love marriage make for a yet another mundane day. In between I need to cook what would be our short lunch snack and tonights big dinner. Love marriage or arranged marriage, gosh that topic is as old as Coulombs law dictating the force of attraction between two unlike charges.

Unlike charges, you gotta be kidding me, two unlike souls linking up together for the rest of their lives. Believe me I have experienced it and I cant stand an ideologically different person for more than three months let alone three decades. Living single and straight and liking it, thats my philosophy. What do I have to look forward to? my books, my music, my writing and my research; not to forget my dreams.

While my roomates ponder and contemplate their plan for the next five years, it becomes increasingly clear how much we miss India. Money, it appears the only reason coming here for many. But how much money do I want, is one million dollars enough, or what will two cars and a beautiful bungalow back home do to my dreams, will it satisfy my urge to earn and spend. How much do I want out of life, how much do I want out of my education. My unanswered questions that I pose to life and myself, my roomates ask different questions of themselves; how different we are.

When I was young before I went to sleep, I wished that God would come in my dreams and show me the path that I need to walk and provide me the solution to the complex equation that is life. As I grew up I realised that the path Im going to chart is my own and will be walked in solitude. I embrace solitude and I quite enjoy it, but a companion, a friend who would walk hand in hand, I crave.

Dedicated to solitary dreamers!!!

3 comments:

Harish said...

Gr8 post! and good luck

Anonymous said...

Watch out for thalaivar's Chandramukhi..coming soon to a theatre near u !

He he..jus kidding !

With Luv,
Ur Roomies.

sensiblystoned said...

@harish: Thanks.

@roomies: Thanks dudes. ennada periya thalaivar....thalaiyoda Ji piragu chandramukhi waste. wat abt tirupachi. inime superstar vijay thaaan no more rajini. hehe.