Saturday, March 12, 2005

My brush with Individualist(s)

"If you fail to rise above the mediocrity, you risk losing your individuality". I came across this statement when I was surfing blogs and being an ardent fan of Ayn Rand I more than eagerly agreed with it but what ticked me was would too much individuality or a drive to develop a sense of individuality, numb you and the people around you.

A wise dude once told me "You can do different things but dont try to do everything differently". Unless you are an entrepreneur, a journalist, a researcher or a job that uses up every ounce of your creative juice, take it easy on you and others guys. What pisses me off is that many of these individualists are invariably blind to their shortcomings. It is not surprising in that case that many of the individualists repeatedly fail to accept their misgivings but instead portray their inadequacies as the very quality that makes them unique. Fellas, just because its unique and nobody else does it it necessarily need not be cool.


It is funny how people view being unique, being different as something to be proud of rather than an inherent quality. For many people including me embracing ones identity is a metamorphosis that might take up the best part of a lifespan. Heres to those who feel constantly reinventing oneself is the only way of living.

Be open to views, opinions and ideas because I strongly believe that the next inspiration might be just around the corner and in the most unattractive package. A lot of lessons I learnt were not from books and word of mouth rather from the people Ive interacted with. Over the years every person Ive known or remembered have taught me very many things, more importantly how to be and how not to be. It is hardly surprising to me that many individualists often fall in the latter bracket.


Which brings us to the next group of people who form a subset of individualists, the self made man. To me the phrase self made man is full of contradictions quite like the quintessential honest politician. I believe that our idealogy is often built based on events we encounter or on our perception of these life altering events. So essentialy, our views and opinions are based on events affecting and not because one fine day we choose to be that way.

Finally, to all the individualits out there embrace your individuality and let others embrace it, dont thrust it upon them. I like to think that every person is a book waiting to be read, re-read and analysed but to all you individualists and self made men I have one piece of advice, nobody wants to read a comic in hardcover!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job dude!

sensiblystoned said...

Mediochre,
Maybe I should know more about spiritually inclined people. I hadnt thought about it or known anybody in that category except my dad.